Hand Lapping Valves
One side of the lap block is grey in colour. This is Kemet Iron and is used with 14 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound for lapping.
The other side of the lap block is brown in colour. This is Kemet XP and is used with 3 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound for final polishing.
Note: It is essential that the 14 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound does not come into contact with the brown lap block face (Kemet XP). If it does, clean the Kemet XP thoroughly before recharging the Kemet XP surface with 3 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound.
- Choose the appropriate lap to suit the valve.
- Ensure that the lap, component and hands are clean.
- Initially apply a small quantity of 14 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound to the grey side of the lap block (Kemet Iron).
- Lap the valve for approx 1 min.
- Stop and wipe the valve surface clean. From the appearance, determine if further lapping will easily remove wear and damage.
- If further lapping is unsuccessful, switch to Bramet silicon carbide papers. As these are self adhesive, they can be adhered to a clean lap face. We suggest sticking these to the grey side of the lap block (Kemet Iron). Choose the appropriate Grit size of Bramet silicon carbide and lubricate (water and soap or clean kerosene). Work down through the grades finishing with the finest 320 Grit. Remember to clean between each grade.
- Revert back to the grey lap block (Kemet Iron) and 14 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound. Continue to lap until the valve face has cleaned up and the finish is uniform.
- Clean the lap and valve.
- Apply a small quantity of 3 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound to the brown side of the lap block (Kemet XP).
- Polish valve face to achieve a finish from which a light band reading can be achieved.
- Clean and test valve.
- Clean and replace laps, compounds and abrasives into aluminium case.
Note: As pressure relief valves are dangerous products if poorly maintained, always refer to the original manufacturer's specification and guidance for use and maintenance. Kemet accept no responsibility for malfunction of any valves.
15 Lapping / Polishing blocks, double sided (D through T2 orifice sizes).
1 x Applikator of 3 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound.
1 x Applikator of 14 Micron Kemet Diamond Compound.
Bramet Silicon Carbide self adhesive papers. Grades 60, 120, 180, 320 Grit.
Housed in aluminium case (Weight approx 11.5 Kg).